M. Lacrosse Garners Accolades

The men’s lacrosse team received a number of prestigious honors over the Winter Break. Men’s lacrosse head coach Jeff Tambroni was named the FieldTurf/NCAA Division I Coach of the Year and Cornell earned the distinction of 2007 NCAA Lacrosse Team of the Year at the NCAA Lacrosse awards banquet. Assistant coach Ben DeLuca was named Assistant Coach of the Year by the Intercollegiate Men’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IMLCA).
Furthermore, Inside Lacrosse chose Cornell as the seventh-best team in the country in its annual preseason rankings, naming seniors John Glynn and Danny Nathan and juniors Max Seibald and Matt Moyer to its preseason All-America teams.
Tambroni led Cornell to one of the best seasons in program history in 2007. The team’s 15 wins were the second-most all-time in program history for a single season, and the team’s appearance in the NCAA National semifinal was its first since the 1988 season.
Cornell finished its regular season with a perfect record of 13-0, winning the Ivy League for the fifth consecutive season and earning the fourth seed in the NCAA National tournament. The Red spent the final nine weeks of the season as the nation’s No. 1 team.
The Red finished the year as the nation’s highest-scoring offense at 14 goals per game, and fifth-best defense at seven goals per game allowed. Cornell’s seven goals per game margin of victory was the best in Division I.
Mitch Belisle ’07 earned the Schmeisser Cup as the Outstanding Defenseman in Division I, Matt McMonagle ’07 won the Ensign C.M. Kelly, Jr. Award as the Outstanding Goaltender in Division I and junior Max Seibald was a finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy as the National Player of the Year — the first Cornellian to have that distinction.
DeLuca has served as Cornell’s defensive coordinator for the past four seasons, and was promoted to associate head coach last June. He directed Cornell’s fifth-ranked defense in 2007, helping Belisle become the first Cornellian to win the Schmeisser Cup since Chris Kane ’78 in 1978.
Seibald will lead Cornell out of the midfield after the most successful season of his career, notching 37 points and gathering 36 ground balls on his way to being named a finalist for the Tewaaraton. Glynn had a breakout season, returning from injury to score 45 points — third-best on the team — and 22 assists. Moyer’s 52 ground balls were the third-most on the team and the most by any Red defenseman, as both he and Nathan saw significant time in all 16 games of Cornell’s season.