July 6, 2008

Schoellkopf Receives Makeover

When students return to campus in the fall, they will see a new side of Schoellkopf Field. The current field surface of the 93-year-old stadium will be replaced with a more modern artificial field material, FieldTurf. The material is the same used when Hoy Field, home to Cornell’s baseball team, was renovated. The FieldTurf will be ready prior to the football team’s home-opener against Yale on Sept. 27.
“I am thrilled that our athletes will have a state-of-the-art practice and competitive surface like FieldTurf when activities begin in late August,” Athletic Director Andy Noel told cornellbigred.com. “I am indebted to our loyal alumni who stepped forward to provide a needed upgrade to our facility, ensuring a safe surface on which to compete.”
Cornell will become the fifth Ivy League school to use FieldTurf for its football stadium.
“The installation of the new FieldTurf will mean that Schoellkopf Field will have the most up-to-date, safest surface that is available today,” said head football coach Jim Knowles ’87. “This will benefit our current players immediately and also be an advantage for us in recruiting. The FieldTurf will also look sharp with a bright red “C” and stunning red end zones. Everyone in the program is excited for this upgrade.”