Volleyball Nets Win in Ivy Opener at Newman

It was a rollercoaster ride for the volleyball team at Newman Arena on Homecoming Saturday. The players started off the day with a back-and-forth battle against Robert Morris University that ultimately ended with a disappointing five-set loss, 19-25, 25-22, 21-25, 25-21, 15-11.
[img_assist|nid=32170|title=Hammering it home|desc=Senior middle blocker Emily Borman (15), with her 20 kills and .727 hitting percentage, was a big factor in Cornell’s win over Ivy foe Columbia Saturday night after a tough loss to Robert Morris earlier in the day.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
The team rebounded quickly, though, with a three-set win over Columbia later in the day, 25-17, 25-19, 25-22.
The Red (2-7, 1-0 Ivy) and Robert Morris fought for control of the first set until the score was tied at 17. Cornell ultimately pulled away and took the set on a block from sophomore outside hitter Erin McCarthy and freshman middle blocker Kelly Hansen.
Hansen added four more blocks in the third set and three in the fourth set. The fourth set saw the two teams tied at 20 before Cassie Lee put Robert Morris ahead with three kills.
In the decisive fifth set of the match, neither team could get a good groove going on offense. Cornell had six kills and six errors in the set for a .000 hitting percentage.
Robert Morris wasn’t much better — it had four kills and three errors for a .042 percentage.
Cornell picked up its first Ivy win of the 2008 season in a nightcap at Newman against the Lions.
Columbia took early leads in the first and third sets, but Cornell was able to rally and take the match in three quick sets, a nice change of pace from the grueling morning match.
The Lions were led by Amalia Viti’s 16 kills and Marisa Cornejo 24 assists and six digs. Senior captain Hilary Holland had 38 assists in the match and 87 for the weekend.
Junior middle blocker Juliana Rogers led the Red offense with 30 kills on the day; 14 in the first match and 16 in the second.
Senior middle blocker Emily Borman added 20 kills to the effort and her hitting percentage in the Columbia match was a stellar .727 — eight kills on 11 attempts.