Volleyball Coach Honored by NCAA

The volleyball team’s highly decorated head coach, Deitre Collins-Parker, added another award to her resume yesterday after being selected to receive the NCAA Silver Anniversary Award. Collins-Parker was presented with the award during the NCAA Honors and Delegates Celebration during the 2009 NCAA Convention in Washington, D.C.
The Silver Anniversary Award honors former student-athletes who both succeeded in collegiate careers in various sports and have also excelled in their chosen profession 25 years after completing their athletics eligibility.
Collins-Parker was a star volleyball player at the University of Hawaii and also played varsity basketball. She was a two-time collegiate player of the year and led her alma mater to back-to-back national championships in 1982 and 1983.
As a senior, she ended her collegiate career by winning the Broderick Cup Award, given to the nation’s top female athlete — the first volleyball player to be selected for the prestigious honor.
Collins-Parker went on to compete in two Olympic Games, numerous other international competitions and also played professionally in Italy and France.
Now in her third season with the Red, Collins-Parker has led Cornell to three Ivy titles and two NCAA tournament appearances. This year, she was inducted into the AVCA Hall of Fame.
Also named as Silver Award winners were Harvard’s Mark Fusco, Yale’s Earle Graves Jr., Texas A&M-Kingsville’s Darrell Green, Georgia’s Kathy McMinn, and Brigham Young’s Steve Young.