Squash to Compete At CSA Individuals

This weekend, select members of the men’s and women’s squash teams will travel to Williamstown, Mass., to compete in the CSA Individual Championships at Williams College. Representing Cornell from the men’s team will be junior co-captain Chris Sachvie, sophomores Will Hartigan and McKay Claghorn, and freshmen Alex Domenick, Dave Hilton and Thomas Spettigue. On the women’s side, the Red will rely on freshman Shivangi Paranjpe, sophomore Jennifer Gemmell, juniors Rebecca Hazell and Liza Stokes and senior Alex Cornett, who will be competing in her last collegiate match. [img_assist|nid=35582|title=Overhand it|desc=Sophomore Will Hartigan will compete this weekend.|link=node|align=right|width=|height=0]
“That’s the most [players qualifying] we’ve had for a number of years,” said men’s head coach Mark Devoy. “That sort of gives us an idea of how strong our program’s becoming.”
Both teams are coming off of a solid showing at Nationals, in which they finished sixth in the rankings after competing against the top eight teams in the country. Selection for this weekend’s tournament is based on being among the top 64 players in the collegiate rankings. There is both an “A” and a “B” draw, each consisting of 32 competitors. Although the draws have not yet been finalized, coaches Mark and Julee Devoy are anticipating having three men and three women in the “A” draws. The results of the contest will determine final rankings, as well as All-American status.