GYMNASTICS | Red Takes Fourth at ECACs

Cornell closed out the regular season this past weekend, competing against six other schools in the ECAC Championships on Saturday.

The meet came off of a loss to Kent State in the previous weekend, yet the team felt positive despite the defeat.

“[Kent State] was a very consistent meet,” said junior captain Sarah Hein. “We posted our highest score so far … We stayed really focused and hit on all four events that week.”

Sophomores Melanie Jorgensen and Lexi Schupp gave solid performances on bars, scoring 9.700 and 9.750, respectively. The top performer on vault for the Red was senior Tiffany Chen, who earned a 9.775. Chen would also go on to be a top scorer for Cornell in floor, with a 9.675. The last event, beam, was a highlight of the day. Jorgensen scored a 9.700 and sophomore Melanie Standridge a 9.875, one of her best scores of the season.

“The meet went well for us,” said sophomore Elise Kerner. “We were coming off one of our not so great meets, and it was a personal victory to rally together and have such a great improvement.”

The Red came to the ECAC meet the following weekend as defending champions, having won its first title in history at the end of the previous year.

“ECAC was bit of a long meet, and I’m proud of us for staying focused,” Hein said. “We started on floor, we stayed focused, did what we needed to do. Everyone went out and hit their routines.”

Original Author: Rebecca Velez