Jamel Booker Charged With Aggravated Assault of Police Officer in Connection With West Hill Shooting

Jamel Booker has been charged with aggravated assault of a police officer and criminal use of a weapon in the first degree in connection with a shooting Thursday in the City of Ithaca’s West Hill, Tompkins County District Attorney Gwen Wilkinson told The Sun.

Booker was arraigned at about 3:30 p.m. on Friday, she said. Bail has been set at $500,000 in cash or one million dollars bond.

The case “has not been charged as an attempted murder,” Wilkinson said. A felony hearing will be held next week, likely in Ithaca City Court, she said.

Booker is accused of shooting Ithaca Police officer Anthony Augustine — a five-year veteran of the IPD — after Augustine reportedly stopped Booker. As of 5:15 a.m., Augustine was still in surgery for the injuries he sustained in the shooting, according to a statement from the City of Ithaca. No further information about his condition was available.

Following the reported shooting, the search to find Booker involved helicopters and dozens of emergency responders from several police agencies. According to the city’s statement, 12 city and state agencies assisted the Ithaca Police Department throughout the night.

Parts of West Hill, where the officer was shot, were shut down by police following the incident. Police cars remained on the scene for several hours.

Original Author: Jeff Stein