DJ, Producer LA Riots to Headline Arts Quad Concert

DJ-producer LA Riots will be bringing his techno house beats to a free concert on the Arts Quad during Orientation Week, the Cornell Concert Commission announced Tuesday.

The EDM remix artist, which began with two men but is now fronted alone by Daniel Linton, will perform on Aug. 31. In past years, the Orientation Week concert has brought groups such as The Cataracs, The White Panda and Super Mash Bros. to campus.

CCC Executive Director Peter Schwartz ’14 said LA Riots was chosen for EDM’s current broad appeal, and that he thinks it is a show that most of the student body will appreciate.

“It’s something that anyone looking to dance, show up and have a good time can have fun with,” he said.

Although LA Riots is the latest of several electronic music artists to perform during Orientation Week, Schwartz said all genres of musical acts — ranging from country to rap — were considered. Ultimately, due to CCC’s budget for the event being limited to about 15 percent of ticketed Barton Hall shows, the organization decided on LA Riots, Schwartz said.

“We really thought [LA Riots], specifically, would be a good spot [for] where our price range and the concert’s general appeal intersected,” Schwartz said.

Although LA Riots has produced original tracks such as “The Drop” and “Lift Off,” the DJ is perhaps more well known for his remixes of songs by major artists like Lady Gaga, Tiesto, LMFAO and The Ting Tings.

Schwartz said he expects LA Riots will draw a large audience, as previous Orientation Week concerts have had more than 9,000 students in attendance.

“We’re hoping to get as many students out as possible,” Schwartz said. “We really want to get incoming freshmen excited about going to an event on campus with everyone else in their class — and one that has more of a communal spirit.”

Meredith Keller ’17 said she is looking forward to attending her first concert at Cornell.

“That is actually so sick,” Keller said. “I’m excited to see LA Riots, and I didn’t even know there was going to be a concert during O-Week.”

Schwartz said CCC plans on booking an opening act for the concert. At this time, however, no other artists have been confirmed, he said.

Original Author: Dara Levy