June 15, 2007

Cornell Chooses New University Architect

Interim University Architect Donald Gordon will be replaced Aug. 1 with a new university architect, Gilbert Delgado, Cornell announced recently.

The university architect is in charge of the design and plan for all of Cornell’s major capital projects, chooses and manages the architects for each project and presents plans to the Board of Trustees. Current projects at Cornell include the construction of dormitories on West Campus, a new life sciences building for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the proposed Milstein Hall for the College of Architecture, Art and Planning.

Delgado is currently the national director of construction and project management in the Office of the Chief Architect at the General Services Administration in Washington, D.C., according to a University press release. He previously served as the director of the National Border Station Program on the U.S.’s borders with Canada and Mexico.

“Gilbert is extremely knowledgeable in matters of architectural design. His work with the GSA has exposed him to a number of high-profile architects practicing a wide variety of architecture,” said Vice President for Facilities Services Kyu Whang, whom Delgado will report directly to. “His knowledge of architectural design will effectively round out our strong project management, planning and construction management team.”