Fraternity Party Ends in Flames

At Lambda Chi Alpha’s ’90s party on Friday, it didn’t “Smell Like Teen Spirit,” but more like smoke.
At 12:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, the fraternity was in the middle of hosting a party, when one of the brothers began to smell smoke coming from outside in the fraternity’s shed.
“There were no visual cues,” explained Marcus Sabolis ’11, vice president of the fraternity. “Someone just smelled it through a closed door. The fact that someone was aware enough to recognize it was really lucky on our part.”
When the brothers rushed outside, they found their shed on fire.

C.U. Ensures West Campus Fire Safety

As Sinead Lykins ’12 was about to start her Spring Break, she was unpleasantly surprised when maintenance personnel arrived at her Lyon Hall dorm room, intent on removing the two interior doors in her three-room suite.
As part of an effort to bring certain West Campus dorms into compliance with fire code changes, Cornell Housing scheduled interior doors to be removed from several West Campus dorm rooms on the afternoon of March 13.

Risley Kitchen Fire Causes Evacuation

At about 10:30 p.m. on Thursday, a small fire broke out in the third floor kitchen of Risley Hall, keeping its residents from their rooms for about three hours. No serious damage was done, as the fire was quickly put out by Devin Conathan ’08, who received first to second degree burns on his left hand.
“I walked by the kitchen and saw a four-foot flame coming out of a pan in the stove,” Conathan said.
Upon seeing the fire, Conathan was “a little scared,” but he maintained his calm and put out the flame with a fire extinguisher.
The resident who set off the fire by leaving an oiled pan on the stove unattended apologized to the entire Risley community through an e-mail later that night.