Turn and face the Sun, cha-cha-changes!

Well folks, we here in the design department are working furiously to bring you fresh new layouts for the fall semester (I always thought fall fashion trumped spring’s anyway!). Carol is in the home stretch, working on a brand new Ecplise layout on thick, white magazine-style paper. We’re also pumping out a tweaked sports section, featuring a new “Inside Sports” bar, a new “Inside This Issue” bar for the front page and fresh infographic styles and ideas. The entire department has been revving up with assistants and night editors to get ready for the first intense months of school, where we’ll be training new staff and balancing new coursework.

My little end of summer project was blog logo redesign. As I mentioned a few posts ago, the logos are ditching photography and crazy fonts in favor of a more iconographic look (But Firefox tells me “iconographic” is not a word, so let’s just define it as a graphic utilizing iconography).

I must say, I’m rather proud of some of my work, and I’ve included a screen shot of one such logo for your perusal:

[img_assist|nid=31167|title=One of the new blog logos.|desc=|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]

These new logos will most likely appear when G. Scott Russ, a senior editor working with the web department,finishes the website’s redesign. I haven’t asked Scott yet, but I plan on goading him into writing a few CMYK posts to explain what he’s doing with the site.

Good luck with classes and look for the first issue of The Sun,appearing tomorrow on campus and around Ithaca!