New York, New York: Tennis Teams Head to City for Break

While many Cornell students will be gallivanting around New York City during Fall Break, the tennis teams will be making a trip of their own to the city that never sleeps after two idle weeks.
While the men’s team heads to the Dick Savitt Tennis Center to compete in the Columbia Invitational, which runs from tomorrow through Sunday, the women’s team will be in Flushing, Queens, for the Women’s College Tennis Invitational.
The competition, running from Saturday to Monday, features teams from across the nation and is held at the National Tennis Center, home of the U.S. Open.[img_assist|nid=32575|title=Service!|desc=The men’s tennis team will travel to the Columbia Invitational, while the women will head to the Women’s College Tennis Invitational.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
The men’s most recent competition was at the Princeton Invitational two weeks ago, in which junior Jonathan Fife fell to Columbia junior Jonathan Wong in the top flight semifinal match.
The women have also had strong performances recently, especially from freshman Stephanie Kent. At the Cissie Leary Invitational in Philadelphia two weeks ago, the rookie won the singles final, and also teamed with junior Natalia Sanchez to defeat a Columbia duo for the doubles title.
At last year’s Collegiate Invitational — against all the Ivies and teams such as Texas A&M, Penn St., Boston University, Army and Rutgers — senior Catherine Duboc and sophomore Ruxandra Dumitrescu advanced to the quarterfinals in their respective draws.
Facing both Ivy foes and quality programs from across the nation, the women will have a good opporutnity to see where they stack up both against their conference and on a national scale before the spring season rolls around.