Former five-term congressman and current local resident Robert J. Mrazek ’67, now an award-winning author, released his 12th novel this week: “The Dark Circle.” The triller, set in a fictional version of Ithaca, weaves in factual details about Upstate New York.
One of Cornell’s most prominent alumnae, Toni Morrison M.A. ’55, died on Monday night, a friend confirmed to the Associated Press. Morrison was a prize-winning author who penned eleven books, including Beloved and The Bluest Eye.
Prof. Robert Summers — an internationally renowned scholar and citizen of the law school outside of the classroom — died on March 1 in Canaan, Conn. at the age of 85. The prolific author of 55 books and over 100 articles was perhaps best known as the co-author of the Uniform Commercial Code.
It’s hard, in fiction, to write about writing. It’s hard to write about most creative enterprises, because if you write about a character who is a world-renowned contemporary poet, you’ll probably have to write about some of his or her poems. Maybe even include an excerpt. And then you’re essentially calling yourself a world-renowned poet, because you’re the one writing what the poet is writing. When I read young adult novels about characters whose writing was praised by another character, I was always really skeptical, because the writer was essentially complimenting him or herself. I came to accept, over time, that if you’re an established figure in the industry — if you routinely churn out creative endeavors that critics and consumers deem “good enough” — you have the liberty to write about good writing.
You can’t make a story like this up. In fact, you really can’t introduce it. So here it is: “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”, a novel scheduled for release in June 2009.
While there is scant information on the novel, author (or is it co-author?) Seth Grahame-Smith estimates that 85 percent of the book is the original Jane Austen text of “Pride and Prejudice”, with the other 15 percent being the zombie storyline. This text-hybrid turns the five Bennet sisters into zombie slayers and Mr. Darcy as a ninja expert, as they attempt to vanquish the zombies that have risen up in their village as the result of a plague.